Setting up NEXUSe2e for Mobile Admin App
The mobile admin App for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) is available at http://itunes.apple.com/app/nexuse2e-mobile-admin/id433621518?mt=8.
The application uses a special web service that ships with versions 4.5.0 or higher of NEXUSe2e. If you have a 4.4.x version of NEXUSe2e, you can use the mobile admin with a small subset of features.
This section gives a brief introduction on how to install and configure that web service in NEXUSe2e.
Automatic Web Service Installation
It is recommended that you use the Automatic Installation process. It will add the required component and service with a default configuration for you. As a prerequisite, download the latest patches.jar from ourDownload/WAR Files section.
Now, follow these steps:
- Log in to your NEXUSe2e web UI as an Administrator
- Go to Tools > Patches
- Upload the patches.jar file
- Select NEXUSe2eInfoServiceAutostartPatch or NEXUSe2eInfoServicePatch and click on the play button right to it (you may need to scroll to the right to find it). NEXUSe2eInfoServiceAutostartPatch will automatically start the service after running and every time the NEXUSe2e is restarted. The autostart feature can enabled or disabled in the service configuration later on.
- A new browser window opens up. Check the output generated by the patch. It will inform you when the service is installed. You can close the output window now.
- Check the NEXUSe2e service configuration by navigating to Server Configuration > Services. You should find a new service called NEXUSe2eInfoWebServiceMountPoint. It uses a newly created component called NEXUSe2eInfoWebServiceDispatcher which publishes the web service used by the NEXUSe2e mobile admin App.
Web Service URL Configuration
The web service is now set up. In the NEXUSe2eInfoWebServiceMountPoint service configuration, you can start it if it is not yet running.
The default URL that has been configured by the Automatic Installation (NEXUSe2eInfoService) will provide the web service at https://your.host[:port]/NEXUSe2e/wshandler/NEXUSe2eInfoService. When you change the mount point, it will only change the last part of the URL. For example, if you change it to MyIphoneService, the web service URL will behttps://your.host[:port]/NEXUSe2e/wshandler/MyIphoneService.
However, it is recommended that you keep the default URL. This allows you to configure your server in the mobile admin app according to the live.nexuse2e.org demo system. Please note that the demo system uses HTTP, we strongly recommend that you use HTTPS instead.
Create a mobile admin User
The NEXUSe2e mobile admin App can authenticate itself at the NEXUSe2eInfoService web service with any NEXUSe2e user that is configured. However, it is strongly recommended to create a separate user for logging into NEXUSe2e with the NEXUSe2e mobile admin.
In the following steps, we create a user mobileadmin that has no access rights in the NEXUSe2e web UI. This makes the NEXUSe2e system more secure, for example if your mobile device gets lost.
- Go to Server Configuration > User Maintenance > Roles and create a new role called Mobile. Click on Uncheck all, and save and apply the configuration.
- Now, create a new user mobileadmin and select the Mobile role.
- Apply the configuration again.
Configure your NEXUSe2e Server in the mobile admin App
The NEXUSe2e mobile admin App ships with a pre-configured server configuration for the NEXUSe2e.org Live Demo System. The Live Demo System has been set up with the Automatic Installation, so you can set up your own NEXUSe2e system accordingly. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install the NEXUSe2e mobile admin App. [download now]
- Start the App. If you are connected to the Internet, the Overview screen should display version and log message information from the NEXUSe2e.org Live Demo System.
- Go to Settings and tap on Manage NEXUSe2e servers.
- Tap on NEXUSe2e.org Live System.
- Tap on the Info service URL (relative) input field twice and then on Select All.
- Copy the relative URL (tap Copy).
- Go back to the Servers section and tap <New NEXUSe2e server>.
- Enter a server display name (e.g. Prod System) and your NEXUSe2e URL (e.g.https://acme.com/NEXUSe2e).
- Copy the relative Info Service URL from your clipboard.
- Provide the user name (e.g. mobileadmin) and password configured for your mobile user.
- Tap Done to hide the keyboard and go back to the Servers section. The new server is saved now.
- Go back to the Overview tab and tap on Select server...
- Select your NEXUSe2e server from the list and check if information is loaded from your system.
- You may want to delete the NEXUSe2e.org Live Demo System now (Settings > Manage NEXUSe2e servers > Edit > Delete).
If no information is loaded from your NEXUSe2e server, please check the following:
- Make sure that you are connected to a network that has physical access to your NEXUSe2e system.
- Check the route. If you cannot open the NEXUSe2e URL in your iPhone's web browser, mobile admin will not work.
- Check your server URL and the user name and password.
- If your Web Application Server uses a self-signed or untrusted certificate, a security warning shows up. If you do not confirm it, no data is loaded from the NEXUSe2e server.
That is it. If you experience any problems, drop us a line to nexuse2e dot support at direkt-gruppe dot de.